Friday, January 29, 2010

Fitness Challenge Week Three

Q: If the recommended number of steps per day is 10,000, how many miles would the average person have to walk to reach 10,000 steps?

A:  Five Miles!

So I'm supposed to be walking five miles during the ordinary course of the day....yea, I don't think sitting in a desk chair for 5 to 7 1/2 hours per day is getting me anywhere close to 10,000 steps per day.  Well looks like I need to get to steppin'...So here's how I'm trying to achieve my 10,000 steps per day...
1. I walk to my classes from work - Each way it is 1.2 miles.  On Mondays and Wednesdays I get about 4 miles in on my walks to and from class.  On Thursdays, two miles walking.  I usually have anywhere between 5 and 15 lbs in school books strapped to my back as well.

2. I get up as often as I can at work.  I walk to give people messages or to ask a question instead of sending an email or calling.  So I'm not just getting up to socialize...there's an aerobic purpose too!

3. I'm participating in the Couch 2 5K program.  I am using the C25K App on my I-Phone to train for a 5K. I've completed Week 1 and I'm ready for Week 2!  Click on the link I provided to check out the program.  If you have an I Phone (or Touch), download the C25K app.  It is worth every penny...the workouts are guided and you can incorporate your own playlists.  Each workout is 31 minutes...See below for workout music ideas!

4.  I also take my canine friend for a walk around the neighborhood a coupld days during the week.  He gets a good workout and so do I! 

So what can I do to fit more steps in my day?  Well this week...the stairs are in my future...I'm not at work today but tomorrow...I'll be hauling all of me up 5 flights of stairs repeatedly! 

Week Three Workout Playlist - Total Time 31:25
1. Beat it 2008 (w/ Fergie) - Michael Jackson (MJs music always makes me feel good!)
2. Grace Kelly - Mika (If you don't know who Mika is, you should!)

3. Hot N Cold (Yelle Remix) - Katy Perry (Another feel good song!)
4. What a Feeling (Radio Mix) - Peter Luts & Dominico (because I love a good techno beat)
5. Empire State of Mind (Feat Alicia Keys) - Jay-Z (Running to Rap just makes since)
6. Defying Gravity (Dance mix) - Indina Menzel (Cause I eventually think an entire broadway playlist is possible)
7. Short Skirt/Long Jacket - Cake (Singing the lyrics makes me forget I'm running)
8. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol (because I needed a cool down song that was almost 5 minutes)

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Way to go girl! The soundtrack to Run Fat Boy Run also has some great running tunes, like "Keep on Running" by Goldspot and "Chelsea Dagger" by the Fratellis (great drum beat). Also, other good running songs are Justin Timbelake's "SexyBack" and "Move Along" by The All-American Rejects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks for the song ideas! I will definitely check those out!

    ReplyDelete